Thursday, February 18, 2010

Orange Glazed Tofu

I was looking for a quick dinner and came across this recipe. I didn't have any tempeh, but I always keep tofu on hand. I like to freeze it and thaw it when I want to use it. The tofu gets a little bit tougher, spongier texture to it. I never have much luck cooking tofu without it crumbling to pieces, but I was willing to give it a shot. It turned out really delicious!

















Total time:  20 minutes

Servings:  2-4  (we loved it, so only 2 for us)

Original recipe:
101 Cookbooks, Heidi Swanson

My variation:
1 cup Orange Juice
1 Tablespoon freshly grated Ginger
2 teaspoons Bragg's Liquid Aminos  
   (just like soy sauce, but better for you)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Cooking Sherry
2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground Coriander
3 cloves Garlic, crushed
1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds
1 pkg extra-firm Tofu
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Handful frozen Broccoli
Handful of Baby Carrots, chopped
Rice

Drain tofu and cube. Heat the olive oil in a skillet, add tofu, brown.
Add broccoli and carrots. Combine rest of ingredients in a bowl.
Pour over tofu mixture. Let cook until sauce thickens. Serve over rice.

Would I make it again:  YES!

Husbands comments:  Mmmm. This is really good.

Lessons learned:  Don't touch the tofu, let it brown and unstick itself; Start the rice before you start cooking or it won't be ready in time

No comments:

Post a Comment